Wednesday, July 14, 2010

"Pick your furniture like you pick a wife;"

 "it should make you feel comfortable and look nice, but not so nice that if someone walks past it they want to steal it.

I spent the day reading "Sh*t My Dad Says" by Justin Halpern.  Based off the twitter feed found at www.twitter.com/shitmydadsays, it's a collection of the musings and advice Sam Halpern has given his family for their lives.


Sam has no personal filter.  He's blunt and to the point, often rude and embarrassing to his son, but he's honest, and throughout the course of the book, as Halpern frames his dad's musings with stories from his childhood and life, you see that his dad really cares about him, and this collection of silly and hilarious phrases ends up being a poignant, heart lifting story.

The copy I read is from the library, but I think I might pick this one up and keep it as a permanent bathroom reader.  The twitter length quotes are great for when you only have a few minutes to read, and need to kill some time.

There's not really a lot to say about this book.  The writing is good and it's a light read.  More than a few times I found myself saying "my dad says/does/acts that way too!"  I will recommend it to everyone I know.

Rating: 5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment